Makindye is a a middle class residential area with some beautiful views of Murchison Bay, part of Lake Victoria. The area has mostly dirt roads, and feels a bit removed from the city with things more spread out. As you near Makindye roundabout the area gets a bit dodgy, it’s not that safe. There are a few local clubs and it can be a bit noisy in the nightlife areas. One of the selling points for Makindye is the beautiful views.
In Makindye you can find multi-bedroom apartments with balconies, for less than $300, a month. It’s a good place to find a budget apartment, complete with tiny kitchens and iffy power. One of the positives is the location, it’s not so far from town.
- Makindye House – Fully furnished rooms available for rent in a beautiful guest house in Makindye, rent includes laundry services. Rooms range form $7-$10 per night and $200-$325 per month.
- ARA – American Recreation Association Kampala: This facility has only 12 rooms available but it is a great deal. You get full access to a plethora of above listed facilities and a continental breakfast for only $60-$75 per night for single and double rooms and $90-$105 for suites. Third Saturday of every month they do a rummage sale.
- Tandem Hotel – Cute outdoor cafe with small decorative waterfalls. Tour vehicles available if you would like to schedule a trip. Small restaurant with local, Indian and Chinese cuisine.
There isn’t much shopping in Makindye but Kattyz Boutique is my favorite small roadside clothing vendor.
- Mark Supermarket – General supermarket.
- Kattyz Boutique – This isn’t your average side-of-the-road vendor. It’s a small clothing boutique that sells used and new clothes. You’re probably just as likely to walk away empty handed as you are with an amazing treasure. I found a super cool vintage Dolce and Gabanna men’s shirt with the original tags still attached! What!
The ARA is a highlight of recreation in Makindye, it definitely appeals to expats on a budget. If you need to e-mail home, catch a game or hang out at the pool, this is the place for you!
- ARA – American Recreation Association Kampala: A popular family club with facilities including: gym, sauna, adult and children’s swimming pools, 2 tennis courts, children’s play ground, squash courts, volleyball, basketball, business facilities, wifi, dvd library, and a bar and restaurant. Annual memberships range from $400 for singles to $620 for families. You can also enjoy the facilities for the day for just $5.
- Lake Victoria – fishing, canoes, boats and sailboats.
Restaurants & Cafes
Coffee at Last is the shining star in Makindye. It’s small and cute and the perfect place to spend the afternoon. It’s located on the second level of a small shopping strip and has a peaceful, green environment.
- Coffee at Last – Excellent coffee, sandwiches, pizza, lasagna and wine in a cozy atmosphere. They’re famous for their amazing brownies and really great service.
We always recommend The Surgery for healthcare needs but if you’re in a pinch Makindye General Hospital is the closest option!
- Makindye General Hospital